Quick, long-delayed update. The longer we waited the better we wanted our next announcement to be, but it's all still very much in the works. More on that soon. We've spoken to a lot of you in between the hustle and bustle of running our own growing brands, and rather than get formal about it, here are a few common comments in no particular order. This is intentionally non-exhaustive or I'd never manage to ever write anything up.
- P&L was founded in large part to be a dream show for progressive, independent brick and mortar snowboarding specialty shops. While there are certainly some shops that fit the bill, they're pretty few and far between these days. Personally some of our best and most favorite shops don't attend trade shows at all anymore.
- Overlapping with SIA was probably the wrong choice. It was super distracting to talk about. More importantly, SIA was super dead and we would likely have been better off overlapping with Outdoor Retailer. That said, with Joe's home-base in the Denver area I don't think we would have been able to pull it off in SLC.
- On an additional trade show note- if you haven't been following the story, OR is in transition. They're pulling out of SLC, and SIA is pushing to do a combined snow in Denver, where they own the rights for the next gazillion years.
- Trade shows, even cool ones are not as fun as an on mountain show. For new hardgoods especially it comes down primarily to how it feels in the snow.
- Working with cannabis brands as sponsors was hit or miss with some shops and brands. I'll say that they were all a pleasure to deal with, and we could not have financed the show without their generous support. Be grateful.
- Brands that did not have any representatives at the show didn't contribute much.
- We would certainly have benefited from having more resources in general. This show was run largely with volunteer effort. That resulted in some areas of the show such as the talks we really wanted to put on, media support, etc. not happening the way we would have liked.
All said and done- P&L #1 truly created a network of like-minded people who are now independently collaborating on projects together.
We'll have a big announcement this Summer about what's next. All we can say for sure is that it's going to be something new and different. We're working with a small team to create something we can all look forward to for next season and beyond.
luv, Steven & Joe